Bitterleaf (Vernonia amygdalina) with African common names include grawa (Amharic), ewuro (Yoruba), etidot (Efik), onugbu (Igbo), ityuna (Tiv), oriwo (Edo), Awɔnwono (Akan), chusar-doki (Hausa), mululuza (Luganda), labwori (Acholi), olusia (Luo), ndoleh (Cameroon) and olubirizi (Lusoga) is one of the widely use cooking vegetable in Africa and it can grow in any part of the world.
Very few people are aware that this vegetable is highly medicinal and can be used to cure diseases as well as help to keep our body in good health condition. The important thing this leaf does is to clean the blood, hence prevent sickness.
•Bitter leaf also cleans the lymphatic system as well.
•For smokers or those that are been exposed to secondary smoke, bitterleaf is useful by protecting the body against pollutants that come from cigarette smoke and some dangerous gas.
•The juice prevents malaria sickness due to the presence of Natural Quinine. Regular intake of this bitter leaf juice will prevent malaria sickness
•It also yield the healing power of Sexually Transmitted Diseases(STD). The drinking of the bitter leaf juice daily and also squeeze the leaves and paste it on the patches and warts that appear on the skin will vanish in course of days.
•It is useful for treating of ringworm, eczema and other diseases, just squeeze and paste it regularly, drink the fresh bitterleaf juice, this will clear them off in no time.
•It is useful in curing loss of memory. It could be a symptom of diabetes or a sickness on its own. Whatever the nature, bitterleaf is very good for treating this ailment.
•If you often feel weak and tired or you lack vitality and vigour, squeeze the bitterleaf in water, take a glass 3 times daily.
It is good in treating stroke, strengthens the muscle and cleanses the system.
•In treating pneumonia, squeeze the fresh leafs of the plant in water. Take a glass full thrice daily. Warm the solution on fire each time before you drink.
•Insomnia is an inability to sleep well, take 2 glasses of bitterleaf juice every night. You may add a little honey if you wish.
•It prevent Arthritis or rheumatism in patients. It soothes swollen joints and eradicates the pain.
•Chew the tender stem and swallowing the juices is a well known remedy for stomach aches. Alternatively, pound the fresh leaves in a mortar to extract the juice, add a pinch of salt to three tablespoons of the undiluted juice and drink. This version is reported to bring immediate relief.
Read Also: Reasons why Bitter-Leaf is good for you
Now let us explain in detail how to use bitterleaf as medicine for different type of ailments below. Below are the 29 Healing Powers of Bitterleaf (Vernonia Amygdalina):
1) To Reduce the Fever
The bitterleaf contains an antiseptic that is very effective to reduce the heat inside. The content of andrographolide lactones, glucosides, diterpene,and flavonoids serve to reduce Fever. You must:
– Boil 10 grams of dried bitter leaf, 25g dried turmeric tuber (2.5 thumbs), and 200 cc of water.
– Boil until the water boils and stay 100 cc, then strain.
– When still warm, add 100 cc or mahogany cotton flower honey and stir properly.
– share into 3 parts, drink this three times a day.
2) To Prevent Cancer
The bitterleaf can treat hydatidiform mole, trophoblastic tumor and lung tumor which was the forerunner of cancer. Andrographolide bitter extract shows activity in particular substances that are effective in preventing liver disease/liver, improve the immune system, anti-cancer, and so forth.
Some studies report that the plants can stop the activities of gastric cancer cells, can inhibit tumor growth.Bitter leaf extract can inhibit the growth and development of breast cancer cells.
To make a drug of bitter herbs:
– Can be done by combining the bitter leaf with turmeric.
Curcumin in turmeric and substances that exist in the bitter andrographolide will be able to form a synergistic formula as a “cure cancer”. Formula combination of bitter and turmeric as anticancer aligned with herbal formula. The combination of these two materials so that both components can mutually support and complement the existing deficiencies in the bitter as well as in turmeric.
3) To Lower Hypertension
Bitter compounds have complete among other substances andrographolide a bitter taste, alkaloid, and potassium. Andrographolide content of which can improve the body’s defense systems such as the production of white blood cells that attack bacteria and other foreign substances. High potassium in Bitter leaf useful to remove water and salt to treat hypertension.
Potassium compounds provide efficacy to lower blood pressure. Results of experiments on the water decoction of bitter leaf 10% at a dose of 0.3 ml / kg body weight can lower blood sugar levels that are comparable to the provision of glibenclamide suspension.
To reduce hypertension, we can use all of the parts or just the roots. To use it required:
The material is washed and boiled in 3 cups of water as much as usual.
– Boiling is carried out until the liquid is staying 3/4 her.
– Once filtered, as much as 3/4 cup cooking water is drunk.
– In one day we can drink it 2 times. It felt quite bitter.
4) Effective For Typhus Disease
Bitter is also believed to be used as a medicine for typhus. Typhus is a disease caused by bacterial infection of the intestine and lymph nodes, and spleen. The incubation period of 5-14 days reach.
How to take medicine:
– 10 gr bitter tubers and 5 gr mandarin orange peel and 15 grams of jail boil with 500 cc of water to the remaining 200 cc.
– Water is drunk to the child when the lukewarm as much as 2-3 times per day.
5) Overcoming Itching
To treat itching: get 1 gram of bitter leaf, 1 gram and 1 gram of ginger root fragrant.
– Blend all ingredients until smooth like powder.
– Dilute the mixture with water and then drunk 3 times a day.
6) For Treating Malaria
Malaria is a disease caused by the parasite plasmodium? To cure malaria,
– A handful of bitter leaf boiled in 4 cups of water.
– Allow up to 2 cups of water to stay alone. Drink 3 times a day.
7) Increase Endurance
Bitter substances have the typical form of andrographolide. Besides andrographolide, also has panni colin substances. Based on two elements, the bitterleaf is named andrographis paniculate.
Andrographolide and panni colin it is specific. Its main function is actually increasing endurance. So in the US, bitter patented as a medicine for AIDS? Generally to increase endurance, we can drink two cups a day of bitter herbs.
How to make:
– 10 grams of dried leaves were given 4 cups of water and
boil until 2 cups. Drink
8) For Treating Appendicitis
The bitterleaf can be used to treat appendicitis. The ingredients should be prepared to treat appendicitis is:
– Bitter leaf 30 grams, 400 ml water, and 1 tablespoon of honey.
– Boil as much as 30 grams of bitter leaf that has been cleaned in 400ml water.
– Boil until the remaining half, then strain the cooking water before and add 1 tablespoon of pure honey.Once cool, Drink this traditional herb 3 times a day on a regular basis.
9) For Treating Diabetes
Andrographolide is the main active ingredient in bitter that serves to reduce levels of glucose in the blood. According to research, Munawara colleagues from Faculty of Pharmacy in 2004 that bitter leaf decoction can lower blood glucose levels in male rats.
Here’s how to mix the bitter leaf and make Bitter leaf as a diabetes drug:
– Bitterleaf approximately 5 grams of fresh leaves, pour 1 cup of hot water (boiled), after the cold and then filter.
– Distillate then drinks daily two times as much, morning and evening after meals.
10) For Overcoming Gallstones
Gallbladder (Vesica fellea) is one organ that is small and shaped muscular pouch where emersion a bile, attached below the surface of the liver. The gall bladder at night will be filled with bile, and will be issued in the morning. The gall bladder can be impaired, among which the formation of stones in the gall bladder and the presence of inflammation.
Ways of making obtain herbal remedy for gallstones from the bitterleaf:
– 30 grams of bitter fresh or 15 g of dry + 100 grams of corn silk + 30 grams meeting buffoonery (sliced) boiled with 800 cc of water until the remaining 400 cc, filtered, then the filtered water, add lemon juice and honey to taste, then taken to two times a day, every time 200 cc.
11) Treating Diarrhea
In addition, it can be used to treat dysentery, the benefits of bitterleaf for another digestive is to manage diarrhea that we suffer, do the same by making a herbal concoction to overcome bacillary dysentery:
– Take as much as 9-15 g of bitterleaf dried, then boiled in 3 cups water until the remaining 1 cup. After chilling filter properly.
– Drink this boiled concotion water 2 times a day, each 1/2 cup.
12) For Treating Bacillary Dysentery
Bacillary dysentery disease is a disease of the gastrointestinal tract with the stools is known to contain blood with / without mucus. Shigella bacteria are the bacteria that causes bacillary dysentery.
To fix this, you can mix the bitterleaf plant, the way is to take:
– 9-15 g of dried bitter leaf, then boiled in 3 cups of water until the remaining 1 cup.After chilling filtered. Drink boiled water 2 times a day, each 1/2 cup.
13) For Treating Typhoid
Typhoid is a disease caused by bacteria. consuming bitter leaf is able to kill the bacteria that cause typhoid.
How to treat typhoid:
– Wash 10-15 the bitter leaf,
– then boil with water,
– wait for it to boil and left to 1 cup,
– then remove and let cool water,
– then take water and pour the honey, then drink
– Do it this way with the routine by drinking three times a day, 1 cup.
14) For Treating Tuberculosis
Tuberculosis is a disease that attacks the lungs caused by tuberculosis bacillus. Lung disease is highly infectious airborne respiratory tract or through tuberculosis emitted during coughing. At first, a lung disease patients (tuberculosis) would develop inflammation of the lungs. Then increasingly pneumonia turned into sores and spread widely.
For those patients with pneumonia, you can treat it by using herbal bitterleaf, the way was the same as the way to cure dysentery or diarrhea above, namely by taking
– 9-15 g of bitter leaf dried, then boiled in 3 cups of water until remaining 1 glass. After chilling filtered. Drink boiled water 2 times a day, each 1/2 cup.
15) Treat Respiratory Tract Infections
Respiratory tract infections are infections that invade the human respiratory tract. Respiratory infections can be caused by viruses, bacteria, or other organisms. Secondary bacterial infections can also occur in patients with upper respiratory tract infections or bottom.
You can use the bitterleaf to treat it, the way is also the same as making potions for bacillary dysentery:
– Take 9-15 g of dried bitterleaf,
– then boiled in 3 cups of water until the remaining 1 cup.
– After chilling filtered.
Drink boiled water 2 times a day, each 1/2 cup.
16) Treat Kidney Disease
Kidney disease is a chronic disease that can be suffered. Kidney has an important function in the body, which functions as a filter. If kidney disease is left it will be fatal, it can even cause death.
– Fresh bitterleaf 30 grams or 15 grams of dried bitter leaf
Leaf cat whiskers.Corn hair. All of the above ingredients boiled with 1 liter of water, reserving half a liter.
– Then drink the water.
17) Overcoming Ear Inflammation
Ear inflammation can occur in any part of the outer ear (otitis externa) and the middle ear (otitis media). Acute ear inflammation is usually experienced by children.
Treatment using bitterleaf:
– Take fresh bitterleaf
– Wash the bitterleaf, blender / puree
– Strain and take the water
– Drops of water on a sore ear as much as 3 drops
– Do 4-5 times a day
Read Also: 8 Uses of Fish and Fish Products
18) Overcome Appendicitis
Disease appendicitis or commonly known as appendicitis occurs when the appendix (appendix) becomes inflamed and pus-filled swelling. This could be caused by a blockage by foreign objects (food) for food or foreign objects that are not easily digested. As a result of the blockage, then enlarged lymphoid tissue and enlargement (swelling) which is the means easy for bacteria to breed.
Swelling in the appendix of this if not treated immediately may rupture, causing infection of the lining of the abdomen. The incident was referred to as peritonitis.
How to made a treatment using bitterleaf:
– First, provide twenty pieces of bitter leaf. Wash the bitterleaf nad then bitter leaf until finely ground. Then squeezed to take the juice. Consumed once depleted once a day.
– Second, prepare thirty grams of bitterleaf, honey and a tablespoon of water to boil 400 ml. Wash the bitter leaf and then boil it. let the water becomes half. Then enter the honey and stir well. Taken three times a day in a state of water is already cold. Do it regularly.
19) For Treating Toothache
Bitter leaf is also useful to treat a toothache, the way is to use:
– a fresh bitter leaf as much as 9-15 g
– boiled in 3 cups of water until the remaining 1 cup.
– After chilling filtered, then taken 2 times a day each 1/2 cup.
20) For Treating Leptospirosis
Bitter leaf able to treat infections such as leptospirosis. How it with given injections or tablets of bitter leaf extract.
21) For Treating Venom Insects
You can use the leaves and Tobacco Bitter taste. For maximum results, do it this way 2 times a day until the pain swelling and pain that arises is completely cured.
22) For Treating Mouth Inflammation
Bitter leaf is also efficacious for treating inflammation of the mouth, the way is by using a dry powder bitter herbs as much as 3 to 4.5 g brewed with hot water. When was cool add honey to taste and drink as well.
23) As a Drug for a Headache
The bitter leaf can also be utilized to eliminate the headaches, the way is also the same as making herbs for influenza above, create dry powder of 1 g of bitter brewed with a cup of hot water. After a cold drink at once, Do it 3-4 times a day.
24) Influenza Drug
Other benefits of bitter leaf to treat influenza. Influenza is not a dangerous disease, but we could have impaired breathing is difficult, even harder to sleep. To treat it using a dry powder of 1 g of bitter brewed with a cup of hot water. After a cold drink at once, Do it 3-4 times a day.
25) Bitter Leaf For Healthy Skin
The content andrografin, androfolit, and in a bitter panikulin a natural antibiotic. This content helps the body to reduce the risk of skin aging and against the effects of free radicals.
The bitter extract is able to increase the body’s defense against infection that lowers the quality of the organs in the body, including the skin tissue.
There are a lot of skin problems, some skin problems can be cured with bitter leaf is:
To treat itching, provide:
1 gram of bitter leaf, 1 gram and 1 gram of ginger root fragrant.
Blend all ingredients until smooth like powder.
Dilute the mixture with water and then drunk 3 times a day.
27) Prevent and Eliminate Acne
2 lenglengan plant (leaves, stems, roots)
1 finger turmeric
1 finger rhizome of ginger
½ handheld bitter leaf
How to make:
Peel turmeric and ginger. Then wash all the ingredients. Boil all ingredients with 3 cups water to boil. After that fire is diminished and herb cooked until the water a half portion. Strain, give a little time to drink palm sugar / honey, stir and drink 2xsehari, every day.
Drying the bitter leaf to dry. Mash until smooth dried leaves and powder. Sprinkle powdered wounds and sores with the dry bitter.
Take a handful of leaves and sulfur bitter taste. Combine the two ingredients are then ground until smooth. Apply the mixture on the skin of the sick. Repeat the treatment until cured.
Bitter Leaf Side Effects
Bitter leaf safe to be consumed in the right amounts. Side effects that may arise in the form are loss of appetite, diarrhea, vomiting, rash, headache, runny nose, and fatigue.
Dose Of Use Bitter Leaf
Andrographolide content in the bitter leaf can be provided only about 4-6% only. The relatively varied bitter dose to 1,200 mg. Such as problems, fever, and tonsillitis, the dose is 40 mg per day. For children with disorders of the upper respiratory system about 30 mg for up to 10 days.
Do you have any questions, suggestions, or other contributions? Kindly use the comment box provided below for all your contributions. You are also encouraged to please kindly share this article with others you feel can benefit from this information if found useful enough as we may not be able to reach everyone at the same time. Thank you so much for sharing!
Have you visited our Market Place Today? Follow this link to visit Agric4profits.com Market Place now to check out our affordable products & services that might interest you and solve your current needs at a very cheap price.