There is no doubt that snail farming is a very lucrative agribusiness that can yield huge profits for the farmer. Meanwhile, there are some factors which affects the growth and reproductive performance of the snail farming business thereby causing loss to the farmer.
Read Also: Recommended Snail Rearing Density
Additionally, aside being a very lucrative aspect of agriculture, snail rearing is also one of the easiest, less capital intensive, less resources requirement including human resources as it does not require so much expertise or time to be managed which is one of the reasons why i will encourage you as a farmer to think about diversifying if you are currently not a snail farmer, you can think about going into commercial snail farming or snail production because snail business is without any doubt very lucrative.
That is why today we will be discussing about those major factors affecting the growth and reproductive performance of snail in snail farming as a business and they can be grouped into the following categories below:
. Environmental Factor
• Stages of production
• Stocking rate
• Management Practices
• Climatic factor
• Source of the foundation stock.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AFFECTING PERFORMANCE
Climatic factors affecting snail production include the following:
- Temperature (Hibernation and Aestivation)
- Relative humidity.
How to avoid excess water in the snail pen:
- Drum/Tank: Drum and Tank for rearing snail should be perforated at the bottom or sides to drain the excess water in soil. Wetting of the soil must be moderate.
- Cage: Holes should be drilled around the side and bottom of the cage. Avoid excess wetting of the soil.
- High Fenced Pen: Palm fronds should be densely placed on the top of the pen
EDAPHIC FACTORS AFFECTING SNAIL PERFORMANCE
Edaphic factors affecting snail farming include the following:
- Soil pH
- Soil Texture
- Soil Structure
- Soil Fertility.