Cauliflower is one of several vegetables in the species Brassica oleracea in the genus Brassica, which is in the Brassicaceae family. It is an annual plant that reproduces by seed. Typically, only the head is eaten – the edible white flesh sometimes called “curd”.
A cauliflower means ‘cabbage flower’. It consists of white florets that make up an edible head. It is a member of a group of plants called brassicas, which include broccoli, cabbage, and brussels sprouts. They have all been cultivated from wild cabbage.
It grows as an annual plant from seed. The white head is eaten. Cauliflower heads are like broccoli, but there are no flower buds. It is low in fat, low in starch and high in dietary fibre and vitamin C. It has more of these nutrients in each gram than many other cabbage-type plants. However, boiling reduces the levels of these compounds: half are lost when it is boiled for ten minutes. However, steaming, microwaving, and stir frying, do not destroy the nutrients and so they are the best ways to cook it.
There are many cauliflower recipes that can be used to produce different types of delicacies like cauliflower soup, cauliflower cheese, cauliflower rice and many more.
|There are some interesting facts you may not be aware of concerning Cauliflower. |
For instance, Do you know that:
|1. It can grow from 8 to 30 inches both in height and width.|
| 2. White head looks like a miniature tree on the cross section. It consists of densely packed curds. |
3. It is an excellent source of dietary fibers, vitamins C, K and vitamins of the B group and minerals such as manganese, potassium and magnesium.
4. Head is usually 6 inches wide and has 2 to 3 pounds of weight in large varieties of cauliflower. Head consists of central stalk which branches and holds undeveloped flower buds.
5. It develops large and coarse leaves that are green in color.
6. They grow in the form of rosette.
7. Leaves surround stalk which holds centrally positioned large, white head.
|8. It has low caloric value and can be used as a substitute for rice and potato.|
| 9. Color of the head depends on the variety. |
10. Most common type of cauliflower is white, but it can be also purchased in green, purple, orange, brown and yellow color.
| 11. Green variety is known as broccoflower because it looks like broccoli. |
12. One type of green cauliflowers develops spiky instead of round curds. This variety of cauliflower is known as Romanesco broccoli.
| 13. It belongs to the group of cruciferous vegetables. They are named that way because they have flowers that consist of four petals which grow in the shape of Greek cross. |
14. Cooking of 30 or more minutes decreases health benefits of cauliflower for 75%.
|15. It develops from seeds and tissue transplants.|
| 16. Depending on the variety, it takes from 50 to 265 days from planting of the seed to the harvest. |
17. It is harvested when it reaches expected size and texture.
|18. Cauliflowers can be eaten raw, cooked or pickled.|
|19. Prolonged cooking destroys majority of vitamins and it is associated with bad, sulfur-like smell of cauliflower.|
|20. Medical studies revealed that substances isolated from cauliflower can prevent development of certain types of cancer.|
|21. China is the greatest manufacturer of cauliflowers in the world.|
|22. It is an annual plant which means that it completes its life cycle in one year.|
According to research, the Nutrition Facts of Cauliflower include:
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0.3 g||0%|
|Saturated fat 0.1 g||0%|
|Polyunsaturated fat 0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat 0 g|
|Trans fat regulation 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0%|
|Sodium 30 mg||1%|
|Potassium 299 mg||8%|
|Total Carbohydrate 5 g||1%|
|Dietary fiber 2 g||8%|
|Sugar 1.9 g|
|Protein 1.9 g||3%|
|Vitamin A||0%||Vitamin C||80%|
|Vitamin D||0%||Vitamin B-6||10%|
|*Per cent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.|
Read Also: 7 Amazing Health Benefits of Cherries
Do you have further questions or any other form of contribution? then kindly use the comment box below for all your contributions.
You are also encouraged to kindly share this information with friends that also need to know this. Thank you