In order to prepare for the possibility of fostering rabbit kits, you should mate your does in groups. These groups of does should be mated within 3-5 days of each other (at most) in order to allow you to foster the kits if needed. This will help you if you are ever faced with any of the situations previously mentioned.
Options for fostering rabbit kits of varying litter sizes:
When a doe has a very large litter some of her kits can be fostered by another doe with a smaller litter, so as to distribute the kits. This helps to ensure that each kit receives the appropriate nutrition and reduces potential problems for the does.
In the situation where a doe has a very small litter, you can either take kits from other does for her to foster (which will help prevent mastitis ), or you can take her kits and foster them with other does. Then, you can re-mate that doe after Bad mother with poor mothering instinct or Carnivorous doe
BEFORE handling the kits, wash your hands thoroughly with a non-scented soap. (Strongly scented soaps and disinfectants may disturb the doe and cause rejection of the fostered kits.)
Rub the powder on your hands. Then gently handle the foster dam’s kits and the kits you will be placing in with the dam. Handle all of the kits before placing the nest box back into the doe’s cage. (Most does will accept fostered kits quite readily without needing to use ointments or scented sprays – using the baby powder is just an added precaution).
This is what i personally ..
I pull fur of the foster dam’s to carry the Kit i want to foster
After the foster kits have been transferred to their new dam’s nest box, be sure to check the nest box every 24 hours to make sure that next box is in good conditions and that all kits have survived.
How to Start Rabbit Farming Business
Rabbits are small sized animal. So it’s very easy to start a commercial rabbit farming business. Make a proper business plan before starting. Here we are describing the most important steps of starting commercial rabbit farming business.
Read Also: Processes involved in Rabbit Marketing
Choose Rabbit Breeds
There are many rabbit breeds available throughout the world. Among those breeds Dark Gray (internal), Fox, Dutch, New Zealand White, New Zealand Black, New Zealand Red, Belgium White and Chinchilla etc. are highly productive and popular breeds. You can choose proper breed for your production, depending on the availability of breeds in your area.
Rabbit Farming Method
You can start raising rabbits in both deep litter and cage farming methods. Here we are describing more about this two types of raising methods.
- Deep Litter Method: This method is suitable, if you want to raise a few number of rabbits. Concrete floor is more suitable for deep litter system. Make 4 to 5 inches depth litter husk, hay, straw or wood shavings. In this method, you can raise a maximum of 30 rabbits in a house. Keep the male rabbits in a separate room from the female. In deep litter system, risks of diseases is high. And sometimes, it may seem very difficult to manage the rabbit in this system.
- Cage Method: For commercial rabbit farming business, cage method is the best. In this system the rabbits are kept in a cage, which are made with wire or iron plate. Cage system is very useful for raising a maximum number of rabbits. Keep sufficient space and necessary facilities, inside every cage. Keep the male and female rabbits separated from each other. Keep them together in a separate cage during breeding period.
Feed consuming rate and nutrient requirements varies, depending on the rabbit’s age and breed type. For proper nutrition of adult rabbits, their food should contain 17 to 18 percent crude protein, 14 percent fiber, 7 percent minerals and 2700 kilo calorie/kg of metabolic energy.
Green leafy vegetables, seasonal vegetable, spinach, carrots, muller, cucumber, green grass and vegetable wastes are common food of rabbits.
For commercial purpose, you can serve them poultry feed. In accordance with providing nutritious feed, supply them sufficient amount of clean and fresh water according to their demand.
Usually rabbits become mature and suitable for breeding purpose within their 5 to 6 months of age. But don’t use the male rabbits for breeding purpose until they reach their first birthday. Doing this will ensure, quality young rabbits for commercial production.
Always try to use healthy rabbits with proper body weight for breeding. Never bred the females, if they are ill. Take special care to the breeding male and pregnant female rabbits, and provide them nutritious feed. The gestation period of rabbits is about 28 to 31 days. And each time a doe can give birth of 2 to 8 kids.
Read Also: Importance of Rabbit Urine and How to Use it
In some areas, marketing rabbit products is not so easy. So it will be better, if you determine your marketing plan before starting. You can try your local markets or nearest town.
Advantages of Rabbit Farming
There are many advantages of commercial rabbit farming business. The main benefits of rabbit farming business are listed below.
- Rabbits are very fast growing animal.
- Their food converting rate is better than other animals.
- One female rabbit can give birth about 2 to 8 kids each time.
- Rabbits can be raised within a short space.
- Production costs are less, compared to other large sized animals.
- Rabbit meat is very tasty, nutritious and easily digestible. All aged people can eat without any problem.
- There are no religious taboos consuming rabbit meat.
- In case of meat production, rabbits are placed after poultry.
- Kitchen wastes, grass, plant leaves etc. are favorite foods of rabbit. So you can raise some rabbits for your family needs, using this type of low cost and easily available commodities.
- Rabbit farming require less labor compared to another animal farming business. You can easily use your family labor for successful commercial rabbit farming business.
- Commercial rabbit farming business require relatively less capital and you will get back your investment within a very short period.
- As it is a highly profitable business, so commercial production can be a great source of earning and employment.
- You can meetup your family nutritional demands through raising a few number of rabbits.
People usually raise rabbits as pets. But raising them commercially, can be a great source of income and a smart way of employment. The annual demand of meat is increasing rapidly throughout the world.
Right now poultry, beef and pork meat are controlling this huge demand. Commercial rabbit production can play a very important role to meetup this demand. So rabbit farming business has a great opportunity.
Note: kits should be foster from day1 to 6days… But it’s does not mean you can’t foster kits of 6days above but the chances keep reducing as the kits grow older
Do you have any questions, suggestions, or other contributions? Kindly use the comment box provided below for all your contributions. You are also encouraged to please kindly share this article with others you feel can benefit from this information if found useful enough as we may not be able to reach everyone at the same time. Thank you so much for sharing!
Have you visited our Market Place Today? Follow this link to visit Agric4profits.com Market Place now to check out our affordable products & services that might interest you and solve your current needs at a very cheap price.