The moment I hear the word ‘Strawberries or strawberry’ the first thing that comes to my mind is the dark red juicy strawberries of Mahabaleshwar. How about you? Have you ever wondered what is so good about this fruit that we all love?
It is loved so much that you tend to get various food products ranging from syrups to biscuits, toffees, chocolates to ice creams etc with this flavour. People want to enjoy its flavour in any form possible.
Let us have a look at its nutritional values and its health benefits
Nutritional Information for 1 serving (i.e 100 gms) of strawberries:
Calories – 44
Carbohydrates- 9.8 gms
Crude fiber- 1.1 gms
Proteins – 0.7 gms
Fats – 0.2 gms
Calcium and phosphorus – 30 mgs each
Iron – 1.8 mgs
Rich in Beta carotene, Vitamin B complex, Vitamin C and also contains many of the essential aminoacids
Wow! Isn’t it amazing? Not only this, there is lots more to add to this super fruit. Do you know benefits of consuming strawberries? Well here it is:
1. Improves immunity – The Vitamin C, Beta carotene, flavonoids and anthocyanins present in strawberry acts as antioxidants and help improve immunity. The fibre also helps remove heavy metals from our system helping to detoxify our system thus improving our immune system.
2. Prevents cancer – A phytochemical called ellagic acid and Vitamin C together yield anti-cancer properties like suppressing cancer cell growth. It also contains antioxidants lutein and zeathancins which are scavengers to free-radicals and neutralize the potentially negative effect they can have on our cell.
3. Heart Friendly – The components in strawberry- ellagic acid and flavonoids has an antioxidant effect which benefits heart.
4. Younger looking skin – Strawberries help in producing collagen. Collagen (helps improve skin’s elasticity and resilience) which we tend to lose in the process of ageing. It fights occurrence of wrinkles but also prevents inflammatory response which is one of the cause of wrinkle formation.
5. Improves eyesight – Antioxidants and Vitamin C present in strawberries prevent cataracts the clouding over of the eye lens which can lead to blindness in older age.
Vitamin C not only protect eyes from exposure to free-radicals from the sun’s harsh UV rays, which can damage the protein in the lens but also strengthens eye’s cornea and retina.
6. Lowers bad cholesterol and helps reduce hypertension – Quercetin, flavonoids and fiber protects heart against damage caused by LDL cholesterol and it also prevents platelet build up. Its good potassium content helps maintain the blood pressure,
7. Reduces arthritis and other inflammatory diseases: The antioxidants and phytochemicals help reduce inflammation.
8. Helps improve digestion – The fibre and water content helps reduce constipation and other digestion related issues.
9. Good for weight and diabetes management – Strawberries are low in glycemic index and at the same time has good satiety value.
10. Improves prenatal health – All the females who are either pregnant or trying to conceive is advised to have folate tablets.
Strawberry (strawberry farming) is naturally high in folate which is one of the basic requirements for tissue / cell differentiation and development of brain, spinal cord etc. thereby preventing neural tube defects.
11. Helps control asthma and allergies – due to its anti-inflammatory properties and Vitamin C content.
12. Lifts your mood up – Folic acid helps reduce production of homocysteine which hinders with dopamine, serotonin (feel good hormone) which may cause depression.
Read Also: Strategies for Improving Cattle Production
Read Also: 10 Amazing Health Benefits of Cucumber Fruit
Read Also: 7 Amazing Health Benefits of Cherries
Do you have further questions, own a strawberry farm or any other form of contribution? then kindly use the comment box below for all your contributions.
You are also encouraged to kindly share this information with friends that also need to know this. Thank you